San Luis Obispo Board and Care Home Neglect Lawyer
When an older adult requires assistance with personal care, it is common to look into various types of assisted living facilities or residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFEs) in San Luis Obispo. One type of facility that provides seniors with assistance is the board and care home. While we should be able to trust that board and care homes in Southern California will provide a high level of care for our elderly loved ones, these facilities frequently fail to give residents quality care. When board and care homes in San Luis Obispo provide substandard care, and a resident suffers harm, it is crucial to find out more about holding the facility accountable. An experienced San Luis Obispo board and care home neglect lawyer at our firm can speak with you today about your options.Learning More About San Luis Obispo Board and Care Homes
You might hear a board and care home referred to as an assisted living facility or as a residential care facility for the elderly. While all of these terms do have some minor distinctions — with board and care homes typically providing care at six-bed facilities — the key thing to know is that they provided assisted living care. The following are some of the types of services that board and care homes provide to residents in San Luis Obispo:
- Help with bathing, grooming, and other activities of daily living;
- Performing housekeeping tasks for residents;
- Supplying meals and food;
- Offering transportation; and
- Helping patients to take medications (but not providing medical care).
Just like at other types of facilities for older adults, neglect can occur at board and care homes in San Luis Obispo. The following are examples of the common forms of neglect and abuse that can happen at a board and care home:
- Preventable falls that cause injury
- The development of bed sores or other pressure ulcers
- Failures to adequately nourish or hydrate the resident, causing malnourishment and dehydration
- Intentional physical abuse, which can include unnecessarily restraining a resident, hitting a resident, or burning or cutting a resident
- Sexually abusing or assaulting a resident
- Psychological or emotional abuse, which can involve acts designed to scare or humiliate or embarrass a resident;
- Unintentional or passive neglect; or
- Intentionally depriving a resident of basic needs.
The National Council on Aging (NCOA) cites these forms of abuse as common ways seniors are injured in assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and other types of facilities in California and across the country.Contact a San Luis Obispo Board and Care Home Neglect Attorney
If you have concerns about an elderly loved one at a board and care home in San Luis Obispo, or if you have questions about filing an elder neglect claim in Southern California, you should seek advice from a lawyer as soon as you can. One of the experienced San Luis Obispo board and care home neglect attorneys at our firm can talk with you today about your concerns and your case. Contact the Southern California Nursing Home Law Group for more information.