Calexico Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer
Learning that an elderly loved one is the victim of abuse or neglect in the nursing home or assisted living setting can be absolutely heartbreaking. What is more, not only can nursing home abuse and neglect lead to emotional and psychological harm, but it can also lead to serious physical consequences for a vulnerable elderly person, including early death.
At the office of the Southern California Nursing Home Law Group, our Calexico nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys understand how devastating learning of abuse or neglect is, and we want to help. If you suspect Calexico abuse or neglect of your loved one, please reach out to our elder abuse lawyers immediately for a free consultation about your rights and options, as well as our legal services. We are here to serve you and your family.Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse and neglect can take many forms. We urge you to watch for signs of:
- Physical abuse. Physical abuse refers to nursing home abuse that involves improper physical restraint of a nursing home resident or intentionally causing a nursing home resident physical harm. This might mean hitting, kicking, biting, or burning a resident; using improper force to restrain a resident; pushing or shoving a resident; intentionally failing to move a resident, leading to bedsores and other ills; improperly using medications to sedate, restrain, or otherwise punish or control a resident; or denying a resident proper nutrition and hydration.
- Sexual abuse. Nursing home residents are sometimes at risk of becoming victims of sexual abuse, which occurs any time that there is unwanted sexual conduct between the nursing home resident and a nursing home staff member or caregiver.
- Emotional and psychological abuse. Emotional and psychological abuse may be, in some cases, just as damaging as physical and sexual abuse. Examples of emotional and psychological abuse include harassing a resident, teasing a resident, refusing to allow the resident to participate in activities with others, ignoring the resident, and more.
In addition to the above types of intentional abuse, it’s also important to be aware of nursing home neglect. Neglect may be defined as “the refusal or failure of a caregiver to fulfill [their] obligations or duties to an older person, including...providing food, clothing, medicine, shelter, supervision, medical care, and services…” Examples of neglect might include:
- Falls With Injury
- Bed / Pressure Sores
- Dehydration / Malnutrition
- Sexual Abuse
- Failure to Obtain Medical Care
You may also find it when a nursing home or assisted living facility fails to assist a nursing home resident during mealtimes, not properly and regularly bathing a resident, ignoring residents who are bedridden, and more.Steps to Take if You Suspect Abuse or Neglect
If you suspect that your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, our Calexico elder abuse lawyers urge you to take action immediately. The first thing that you should do is make sure you document all signs of abuse or neglect, including interactions that you have with nursing home staff members. From there, you should report the nursing home abuse or neglect to the nursing home manager. In many cases, it is also advisable to file a complaint with the local California long-term ombudsman or/and the California Department of Public Health. Next, call a Calexico nursing home abuse and neglect attorney who has handled cases like yours in the past and can advocate for your loved one.Filing a Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Claim in Imperial County
If you believe that you have a nursing home abuse or neglect claim in Imperial County, you can bring forth a civil action for damages. (In some cases, a criminal action may also be appropriate.) By way of a civil lawsuit, you can seek compensatory damages, including compensation for the harm caused by the neglect or abuse, including wrongful death damages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, medical expenses, and under certain circumstances, attorneys’ fees and costs. Our lawyers can help you to gather evidence, prepare your case, navigate the legal system, and negotiate your settlement.How Our Calexico Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers Can Help
If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, you need a skilled nursing home abuse attorney in Calexico on your side. At the office of the Southern California Nursing Home Law Group, we have over two decades of experience and have recovered millions on our clients’ behalf. Call our legal team today for your free consultation and more information about how we can help.